Re: Fw: genhdlist and kickstart, help appreciated

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Sanjeev Chhibber wrote:

> What is the exact purpose of  it?
> And why is it needed for the kickstart install?

>From what I can gather, it holds all the rpm dependencies of all
rpms in the RPMS directory in one convenient database.

It saves anaconda, on a kickstart install, from having to trawl
through all RPMs, possibly at the other end of a slow network
link, to figure out this information.

Consequently, it is only necessary to run it when the contents
of the rpm directory changes.

genhdlist:              genhdlist [--withnumbers] [--hdlist <path>] <paths>+

I use it like this :-

/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --hdlist /rpms/cd/RedHat/base/hdlist /rpms/cd

A google search of genhdlist will come up with plenty of examples
of its use. Warning: it changed the format of the files generated
between anaconda 7.0 and anaconda 7.1.

Cheers,    Andy!