Re: Looking for advise, how to work remotely...

When I worked at Cisco in a former life, we had ~300 redhat machines
that we completely installed and managed remotely.

When we laid out the filesystems we also created a second root
partition.  The purpose was to have a minimal OS that would allow you
to boot the machine and re-install the main os on the other
partitions.
To make it work we entered 2 entries in /etc/lilo.conf, one for the
real / and one for the recovery /.  in the rc.local on the main /, we
added a "lilo -R main" to do a one time boot of the main /.  If that
boot failed, due to bad fsck'ing, or anything else that prevented the
machine from booting all the way, a re-boot would bring the machine up
on the known good alternate /.  To make sure this alternate / was not
corrupted, we would either never mount it under normal running mode,
or mount it read only.

To actually get the machine installed, we created a boot floppy that
booted the machine and mounted / over nfs.  the machine then had the
above mentioned alternate / created, and installed with the minimal
OS.  The machine would then re-boot on to the alternate / and then
install the main system.

To get around the floppy disk problems, we checked if there was a disk
inserted, and if there was, we updated lilo on the floppy to boot the
proper root (nfs or alternate / or main...)

We could then send someone a dd of the floppy disk, and rawrite, and
have them make a boot disk for us, and insert it into the machine.
Once that was done, no other user intervention was required.  In all
the time I was there we only lost 2-3 machines that would not come
back up with the above setup.

If you want to look at the script that created the boot disk and did
the os install, you can find it at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ceps/scripts/newinstall.sh
You may need a few other of the utilities there to actually get it to
work properly.

There are probably better ways to accomplish this, we started this
back with redhat 5.0, or so.  So the install isn't a kickstart
install, but it shouldn't be too hard to integrate it into a kickstart
config.

-Adam