Woohoo!

OK, things are clicking now.  Here is some info that I have found
out while doing this.  Most of you probably already know, but
thought I would share. :)  BTW, thanks to all that have put up with
my stream of questions.

Things you shouldn't do:

Don't put your rpms in a samba share and expect to burn them
from a Windows machine CD writer (this is probably obvious to
everyone but me)

Don't trust the mkickstart program to create an exact duplicate of
the currently running system.  It is just a really good start.

Things you should do:

Use the mkisofs command line to create the iso image....then you
can use the Windows machine to burn the ISO image...this works
great!

I think you can't really do any good customization without
genhdlist.  This seems to be an integral part of the
customization...unless you don't mind inserting two CD's :)

I have include the scripts I have made to that help me make the
boot disk and CD.

The scripts I made are strictly for making a boot disk and to use a
CD. Because I am not using genhdlist, it requires I insert the 2nd
CD.

Maybe Alan Cox - the author of mkkickstart - will consider adding
something similar to this to his mkkickstart utility to help.  I am
working on making them nicer to use, but for now they work.

Mike Barsalou

Michael Barsalou
barjunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#!/bin/bash

mount -o loop boot.img boot/
zcat boot/initrd.img > initrd.img
mount -o loop initrd.img initrd/

lang en_US

network --bootproto dhcp

cdrom

device ethernet ne --opts "io=0x300 irq=3"

keyboard "us"

zerombr yes

clearpart --linux

part swap --asprimary --size=260

part / --asprimary --size=1000 --grow

install

mouse genericps/2 --emulthree

timezone America/Anchorage

skipx

rootpw --iscrypted $1$PxxJl36h$kENWBwnAenUj3qnpafYwd.

auth --useshadow

lilo --location mbr

%packages
glibc-common
mailcap
redhat-release
filesystem
glibc
bdflush
cracklib
db2
dosfstools
eject
gdbm
gmp
iputils
libjpeg
losetup
mingetty
bash
hotplug
groff
modutils
ncurses
cpio
ed
at
gawk
grep
dhcpcd
less
make
net-tools
openssl
groff-perl
popt
procmail
psmisc
pwdb
rdate
ftp
rsh
console-tools
shadow-utils
newt
ntsysv
slocate
syslinux
tcl
tcsh
textutils
mkinitrd
mkbootdisk
time
crontabs
utempter
vim-minimal
whois
cracklib-dicts
authconfig
gpm
passwd
a2ps
krb5-libs
LPRng
sendmail
XFree86-libs
control-panel
tix
gnupg
libxml
alchemist
pythonlib
rpm-python
util-linux
apmd
ipchains
kernel
netcfg
openssh-clients
pidentd
quota
usermode
anacron
chkfontpath
xtt-fonts
ghostscript
unzip
dos2unix
samba-common
unix2dos
sysstat
gd
rdist
ucd-snmp
arpwatch
lsof
stat
linuxconf
samba
tripwire
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
lynx
python-devel
openssl-devel
bc
perl
rmt
talk
wget
4Suite
ghostscript-fonts
indexhtml
redhat-logos
setup
basesystem
termcap
chkconfig
db1
db3
e2fsprogs
file
glib
hdparm
ksymoops
libtermcap
mailx
mktemp
bzip2
libstdc++
MAKEDEV
mpage
info
diffutils
fileutils
findutils
gettext
ash
gzip
m4
man
nkf
bind-utils
pnm2ppa
logrotate
procps
psutils
raidtools
readline
rootfiles
sed
setserial
dev
slang
kbdconfig
setuptool
sysklogd
tar
tcp_wrappers
telnet
mount
lilo
mouseconfig
tmpwatch
traceroute
vim-common
which
words
pam
cyrus-sasl
kudzu
sh-utils
freetype
krbafs
openldap
SysVinit
gtk+
tk
zlib
libpng
python
python-xmlrpc
rpm
tkinter
initscripts
devfsd
iptables
lokkit
openssh
pciutils
pump
timeconfig
vixie-cron
XFree86-xfs
urw-fonts
VFlib2
printconf
zip
mtools
samba-client
openssh-server
xinetd
mt-st
tcpdump
ucd-snmp-utils
iproute
screen
sudo
stunnel
sysctlconfig
binutils
cpp
gcc
rpm-build
patch
mkkickstart

%post
#!/bin/bash
dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0

#!/bin/bash
cp boot.img /samba/cdrom/images
mkisofs -b images/boot.img -c boot.cat -J -L -r -T -v -o RH71-prntcntrlr.iso /samba/cdrom
#!/bin/bash
cat /dev/zero > initrd/zerofile
rm initrd/zerofile
umount initrd
gzip -9 initrd.img
mv initrd.img.gz boot/initrd.img
cp ks.cfg boot/
cp syslinux.cfg boot/
umount boot
Place these programs in the directory where you will be customizing
your boot image:

pack
unpack
makedisk
makeiso
configure
README
boot.cat

Run the configure script to create the boot and initrd directories
unpack   - will loop mount the boot.img and initrd.img files
pack     - will put it all back to the boot.img
makedisk - creates floppy with ks.cfg and syslinux.cfg add
makeiso  - creates iso image so that you can burn the cd (requires mkisofs rpm)
boot.cat - needed for makeiso to work (I have no idea what this is for)

Please look at the scripts before you use them so you can understand how they
work.

Mike Barsalou
barjunk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
default ks
prompt 1
timeout 10
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=floppy initrd=initrd.img local
#!/bin/bash
mkdir boot
mkdir initrd