Interesting DHCP problem - with solution

I have been working on an automated build based around
Kickstart, and thought it may help some people to note a
slightly off topic) issue that may be encountered by others.

My configuration involves 2 x IBM x330 systems (with onboard
Intel Ethernet Pro 100 dual port NIC's) connected via a
Cisco 2900XL Catalyst switch.

One IBMx330 is the server (for everything), and one is the
install target.

The objective is an entirely media-less boot mechanism.

This is working using PXELinux communicating with DHCP, the
client obtains the kernel and ram disk via TFTP, and then
picks up the ks.cfg over NFS, which in turn issues a static
IP and installs over NFS.

The reason for this diatribe is that I experienced a problem
whereby, if I interrupted the boot process (Ctrl-S) when it
reached the /sbin/loader, and then released it (Ctrl-Q) the
install worked.

If I didn't interupt it the install would hang. In the
tcpdump I could see the client issuing DHCPDISCOVER
requests, and the server responding with DHCPOFFER's. But,
the client would not accept the offers and therefore could
not get the ks.cfg.

This is mentioned in the DHCP FAQ as a possible routing
issue, but there is another possible cause.

Turns out that the ports on the Cisco were set to
auto-negotiate, with spanning-tree enabled.

After setting the ports to fixed 100MB Full Duplex with no
spanning-tree, all works fine.

Apologies for the purists that will tell me this is a
network/DHCP issue, but I thought it might be of interest to
some of this group as well.

Regards,
Pete.
Send 10 free text messages from your PC to your friends'
mobile everyday!

Plus Vizzavi offers the best up-to-the-minute news, sport,
entertainment and more on web, WAP and mobile.
http://www.vizzavi.co.uk