OT -- headers v body Re: [ks] Re: DHCP Server

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Martin Lichtin wrote:

> Tony Nugent wrote:
> > Please do not send this garbage to mailing lists.
>
> But you sending us X-Face: headers is ok.

---------------------------------------

Subject line shift notice ...

This is just not mere elitism.  Posting HTML content can bear
hostile -executable content attacks- and web-bugs come to
mind.  You had to go looking for the X-Face in the headers.
While my choice of mail user agent is set to elide displaying
HTML dupe-content, not all can. ///

Putting aside the clear and long counter-preference to HTML
and attachments in mailing lists and the well-known arguments
there ...

The mailing list and indeed your local mail choice can elide
headers to your heart's content, and no-one will complain.

When it is in the body, as alternative MIME encoded HTML and
the various variants are, -- attachments also come to mind --
it is not possible to reliably elide them on an automated
bassis -- GPG/PGP signings get broken depending on that tool's
decisions on boundries, which are not as well defined as the
Header/Body split.

-- Russ Herrold