Re: Problem with syslinux.cfg

Hi,

I have seen a tremendous amount of questions on this mailing-list
regarding kickstarting with a ks.cfg directly off the cdrom, and like
Forrest have said that it does not work... I wasn't comfortable with that
conclusion and 2 days ago I set out to track down a solution to what
appeared to be (and in fact is) a bug with the RH7.1 anaconda /sbin/loader
program found in the initrd.img of boot.img.  I tracked down a patch on
redhat's bugzilla (actually saw an indirect reference to the cdrom problem
bug on this list), the patch that fixes the ks=cdrom:<path> bug can be
found here:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=22767

I applied this patch to anaconda-7.1, and then built a fixed 'loader'
(need to type 'make loader' in <anaconda_7.1_src>/loader/).. I then
replaced the 'loader' as found in the initrd.img within boot.img, expanded
the image to be 2.88MB for future expansion capabilities for Paralogic's
Beowulf Cluster distribution needs.. I then added an entry like this to
syslinux.cfg:

label node1
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=cdrom:/cluster/node1/ks_cd.cfg initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount

created an iso with the following script:

#!/bin/sh
mkisofs -v -r -T -J -b images/boot288.img -c boot.cat -o $1.iso $1

I burnt the iso and believe it or not IT WORKED!

Kickstarting from cd is made much easier when you don't need to modify the
initrd.img every time you'd like to tweak a ks.cfg.

Hope all this helps,

Mike