From: kickstart-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kickstart-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Taylor, ForrestX
Sent: 16 August 2001 00:06
To: 'kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: kickstart on CDs

I have done it with 7.1 and 6.2.  They are a little different, so I will
show you exactly what I did for each.  I will attach a script that I use to
automate most of this.

Red Hat 6.2

Copy the boot.img file to somewhere that you can work on it.
Make two directories there: boot and initrd
# mkdir boot initrd

Mount boot.img on boot/
# mount -o loop boot.img boot/

Open up the initrd.img and mount it on initrd/
# zcat boot/initrd.img > initrd.img
# mount -o loop initrd.img initrd

Now edit the syslinux.cfg and insert/edit your ks.cfg
# vi boot/syslinux.cfg
I change the default to ks [default ks] timeout to 10 seconds [timeout 100]
and change/add the ks label like so:

label ks
 kernel vmlinuz
 append ks=file:/ks.cfg initrd.img=/initrd.img local

# cp /wherever/ks.cfg initrd/
In my script, I assume that ks.cfg is already there, so you can either
cut/paste, or just copy it over there manually.  You will get errors saying
that it ran out of space, but the next command will fix that.

On 6.2, you must fill up the space with nothingness to allow it to compress
better
# cat /dev/zero > initrd/zerofile
# rm initrd/zerofile

Now pack everything away
# umount initrd
# gzip -9 initrd.img
# mv initrd.img.gz boot/initrd.img
umount /boot

Done.

You can do the same thing on 7.0/7.1, but you do not need to do the zerofile
thing, although it won't hurt.

To use the script, move the boot.img files to /tmp.  I use the
boot-20000407.img for Red Hat 6.2, and boot.img for 7.1.  I have added a
.ks.cfg to each of them  (e.g. boot.img.ks.cfg), so that it is easier to
keep track of them.  Thus:
# cp /mnt/cdrom/images/boot.img /tmp/boot.img.ks.cfg

The script uses vi to edit, so you can change that if you desire.  Once you
have the new boot.img.ks.cfg files, move them to the images directory of
your linux CDs, and run mkisofs.  This is what I do:

# cp /tmp/boot.img.ks.cfg /redhat-cds/redhat-7.1-disk1/images
(or # cp /tmp/boot-20000407.img.ks.cfg /redhat-cds/redhat-6.2/images)

I usually run genhdlist as well, but I don't think you have to if you only
change the boot.img, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

# genhdlist --withnumbers /redhat-cds/redhat-7.1-disk1
/redhat-cds/redhat-7.1-disk2
( or just genhdlist /redhat-cds/redhat-6.2)
# mkisofs -b images/boot.img.ks.cfg -c boot.cat -J -L -p "my.email.com" -P
"RedHat" -r -T -V "Redhat 7.2 with ks.cfg" -v -o
/redhat-cds/redhat-7.1.ks.cfg.iso /redhat-cds/redhat-7.1-disk1

(or # mkisofs -b images/boot-20000407.img.ks.cfg -c boot.cat -J -L -p
"forrestx.taylor@xxxxxxxxx" -P "Redhat" -r -T -V "Redhat 6.2 with ks.cfg" -v
-o /redhat-cds/redhat-6.2.ks.cfg.iso /redhat-cds/redhat-6.2)

Forrest