Re: 7.1 & kickstart woes(python)

Ahh!  Just the person I was hoping would to get a comment from!  The python
error is from an attempt
at 7.1...

I just got mail from Mr. Alford....Im using the 'install' list and I have  a
lenghty list of packages
to be installed....Thats an interesting point you've raised about an upgrade
though...Ive noticed that
on systems that I run mkkickstart from, if there are any 3rd party packages
installed, they get listed and you
have to comment them out appropriatly...the system I ran mkkickstart from in
this case to get a list for 7.1
was an upgraded system from a 6.1 install and installed from cd....so some of
the packages that RedHat no
longer packages, or 3rd party stuff that I put in had to be excluded by hand
until the package read wouldnt
fail...
oh, and yes, the list includes 'rpm'

The 6.1 error is strange just because it completes the install and gets you to
the 'pre-reboot' screen that prompts
you for an "ok".  Behind that prompt box, I get an error along the lines of
"geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big"...
When I reboot, it locks at "LI"

..hrmm... more /usr/doc/lilo-0.21/README
""
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
""

Upon further investigation, it installing as hde rather than hda....why?  I
think ive seen something about
2.2.12 w/o the CERN patch mapping drives starting at hde....Am I off base here?

aside from kickstart, just me ranting.....:
the BIOS doesnt have any option to turn on LBA support or even anything along
the lines of autodetecting the
geometry of the disks....
uhh, ive noticed that the have this interesting daughter-card/riser sort of a
setup in these 1U boxs for the UIDE/100
cards....model #CSA-649U

i dunno....this is really getting to me...My 6.1/6.2 setup works great on any
other system....What other info should I
provide to be helpful??

thank you guys, ohh so much!

-johnny