Re: mke2fs hangs during partitioning phase

> The problem with mke2fs may be due to the system
> running out of memory.  This was discussed in the
> linux-kernel mailing list last February.
>
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0102.2/0046.html

Thanks for the link. This could indeed be it.
In fact, I use a Mylex card and the partition causing the
problem is 85GB. What's interesting is that it's supposedly
fixed in 2.4.

> I'm not sure if this explains why mke2fs works in the
> %post environment, and not during the ramdisk
> environment.  Maybe something in %post causes the
> MKE2FS_SYNC environment variable to get turned on?

I looked at the environment variables set during %post,
MKE2FS_SYNC is not set.

> Martin, or anyone else who is seeing this problem,
> what does the alt-f3 and alt-f4 screens show when mke2fs hangs?

Hmm, from what I remember, they don't really show anything unusual.
Alt-F5 shows the output of mke2fs, and the last line typically says:

Writing inode tables: 1/685

> Also, are you using the 2.4.2-ac2 kernel which comes on the
> distribution, right?

Yes, the kernel that comes with RH 7.1.