RE: eepro100 vs. e100

> I have some Intel STL2 motherboard based machines which I'm attempting
> to get RH 7.1 to kickstart onto. The STL2 has a very poor
> implementation
> of the Ether Express Pro chip however, and it hangs with the eepro100
> driver. The e100 driver that ships with RH is somewhat better, but the
> e100 driver (1.6.6) that Intel makes (seems to be no relation
> other than
> name) works quite well. I'd like to have kickstart boot the
> RH e100 driver,
> then install a RPM which contains Intel's e100 driver and
> then have the
> post install script flip the kickstart boot floppy to a
> generic boot disk,
> reboot the machine with Intel's driver, and the put the floppy back to
> a kickstart floppy.

This part loses me.  Why do you want to flip the floppy to a generic boot
disk and then back?

> The problem is in trying to get kickstart to load
> RH's e100 driver on initial boot. If I add the device e100
> line to my ks.cfg
> file, it will load the driver, but it will also load the
> eepro100 driver
> and use it! This does me no good whatsoever! How can I override this
> functionality?? Is it possible to do this on the append line
> on syslinux?

What if you removed references to eepro100 in the boot disk, or better yet,
replaced it with e100?  I assumed you were able to pull apart the
bootnet.img and place the e100 driver inside.
Thus if you replace the references to eepro100 with e100, it should probe
the card, and use the e100 driver instead.  You could try using a driver
disk with the e100 on it, but it may give you similar results.

Forrest