Re: how to specify a network card in a net-ks install?

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Matt Fahrner wrote:

> But it sounds to me like the problem isn't that he can't specify which
> ethernet to use, but rather he can't control the order which the modules
> are loaded and thus which device becomes eth0 and which becomes eth1.
> Without that he'll randomly pick up one device or another which may or
> may not be the wrong ethernet card.
>
> Am I reading this right?
>
> 			- Matt
>
> Mark Oram wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >         I replied earlier today but accidentally sent it from the wrong
> > address so it is still waiting to get approved by the moderator.
> >
> > You can do a 'ks ksdevice=eth1' at the boot prompt to specify to use
> > DHCP over the eth1 interface (or whatever interface you specify.)

but this does sound like it will solve the problem.  i can try it
with eth0.  if that doesn't work, i'll try with eth1, and so on.
*one* of them should eventually match the entry in the /etc/dhcpd.conf
file.  but this brings up a couple of obvious questions:

1) how *does* the recognition process determine which card becomes
  eth0, which one eth1 and so on?

2) is the algorithm from part 1) deterministic?

rday