RE: kickstart disk with an upgraded kernel?

Yes! I second the question.  Why do you need a new kernel on the boot
floppy?  The only reason I can think of is that you've just compiled a new
driver that's needed to boot and install the machine.  In this case, you
should use Doug Ledford's driver disk package for creating driver disks
with the "standard" boot kernels that RedHat uses.