neighbor table overflow ?

I'm using a bootdisk with ks.cfg to do kickstart installations using FTP.
The automated setup has worked flawlessly on quite a few machines, except
one.
It appears the nic modules loads, then tries to ftp to the remote machine
for the second stage image.
I see "neighbour table overflow" error messages if I watch the progress on
another virtual terminal. It eventually fails.
I've read through many other news postings from other groups that would
suggest it is the loopback interface, but it seems to be just fine.
Any ideas what may be causing this error?