Re: kickstart and RH6.2

liefting@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Install the mkkickstart rpm and run the mkkickstart command. That should at
> least get you a working ks.cfg file. You might want to replace the
> individual packages with the package groups though (these groups are
> defined in the /RedHat/base/comps file on the RH CD).
>
> - Wouter.
Hi,

thanks for the reply. The problem is not to get a working ks.cfg file,
but rather to bypass all the anaconda bugs. (BTW mkkickstart produces a
ks.cfg file which does not work either) Actually i stuck with the hdd
partitioning. It seems that anaconda can't partition my harddisk(s)
automatically.

I have a AHA2940U2W Wide SCSI controller and a 9GB SCSI disk (/dev/sda)

Here is my ks.cfg file i used to test my kickstart installation:
Everything is OK, until anaconda reaches the step where to clear the MBR
and repartition the harddisk. There it stops and wants interactive input
(i have to partition the disk manually) but then the kickstart installer
crashes...

Any ideas?

lang en_US	--> OK
#
# Networking parameter. Don't forget to specify a nameserver, otherwise
kickstart will fail.
#
network --bootproto static --ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --netmask 255.255.255.0
--gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --> OK (kickstart
fails if you forget the nameserver)
#
# RedHat installation CD has been mirrored to this server. Do a network
based installation
#
nfs --server ks.install.some.domain --dir
/d/0/export/Linux/RedHat/6.2/2.2.14-5 --> OK
#
# Select keyboard layout
#
keyboard us --> OK
#
# clear MBR
#
zerombr yes --> DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY MBR IS NOT CLEARED
#
# clearpart --all does not work, trying --linux
#
clearpart --linux --> DOES NOT WORK

part /boot --size 16 --ondisk sda  --> DOES NOT WORK
part / --size 6666 --ondisk sda --> DOES NOT WORK
part /var --size 1024 --ondisk sda --> DOES NOT WORK
part /tmp --size 512 --ondisk sda --> DOES NOT WORK
part swap --size 512 --ondisk sda --> DOES NOT WORK
install

mouse generic3ps/2

timezone Europe/Vienna

xconfig --server "SVGA" --monitor "my monitor"

rootpw --iscrypted <encrypted_pwd_goes_here>

auth --enablemd5 --enablenis --useshadow --nisdomain tne.com --nisserver
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

lilo --location mbr

%packages
#
# Just experimenting with some default install packages, but i did not
reach this step
#
@ Base
@ Printer Support
@ X Windows System

%post
echo "kickstart installation" > /tmp/messages

Many thanks
Thomas

P.S.: It seems that many other people have (had) this or a similar
problem to get kickstart working (reading all the kickstart articles in
the redhat-install-mailing lists). I hope this feature will be fully
supported in the RH 7.0 release, otherwise it will be a nightmare to do
fully automated installations of Linux boxes :-( On my SUN/Solaris hosts
network installation works like a charm. But i have to get the job done
using HR6.2 ...

--
Thomas Mandl

System, Network & Security Admin  phone:   +43 1 877 56 45/53
Thomas NEUROTH Ges.m.b.H.         fax:     +43 1 876 49 20
Hietzinger Hauptstrasse 22        e-mail:  Thomas.Mandl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
A-1130 Vienna/Austria             NIC-HDL: TM4373, TM539-RIPE