Re: func's future and new maintainer!

On vr, 2012-08-03 at 13:25 -0400, Steve Salevan wrote:
> Hey guys,
> It is true what Seth says; I am the new Func maintainer!  Thanks
> muchly to Seth for his years of service hacking on Func, and I hope to
> do you and the community proud as we build Func into an even more
> awesome project over the next few months.

Great! Func development looked a bit dead from the outside and I'm glad
it's going to live again :)

> First up, an introduction: I am a site reliability engineer at Tumblr
> and a former Red Hatter, and you might know me best as the fellow who
> added Func's delegation feature and Certmaster's triggering feature a
> few years back.  In its current form, Func has a lot of useful
> functionality, and we've found many uses for it at Tumblr, from the
> deployment of our code to infrastructure-wide maintenance tasks.

We (booking.com) use it for many things on thousands of machines as well
and it's served us quite well so far.

> We'll be committing some bugfixes over the next few weeks as we
> continue to improve Func's reliability across large-scale deployments
> such as ours, so stay tuned for good things.  From there, we plan a
> systematic overhaul of the project, especially around the messaging
> and security model, as we have some ideas that would allow for better
> parallelism, faster command execution, simpler minion management, and
> much tighter reliability while preserving API compatibility.
>
> If you're using Func in your infrastructure, we'd love to hear about
> what you like, what features you use,

Delegation rocks, ease of writing modules for or applications using func
rocks.

> and what things you'd like to see improved.

Here are some things I'm working on/thinking about:

Certmaster doesn't deal with server reinstalls very well, we worked
around it by not using certmaster.

Unauthenticated calls would be useful to have too, we're now using our
own unauthenticated xmlrpc server that "proxies" to func for those
things that should be doable by all users on a server.

Restarting funcd breaks commands in progress, which, combined with
needing to restart func to use updated modules is really annoying as we
now can only update func modules at night.

> Additionally, if you've ever come up with a patch in your dealings
> with Func, let me know, as we're hunting for some fellow
> committers/partners in crime.

I have some patches that I'd like to submit soon:

- A few delegation fixes, including fully parallel execution.
  We use delegation heavily in our code deploys and this was a
  75% speedup.
- We use PuppetMinions and an externally-generated mapfile and
  trust it to find minions instead of using puppet's
  certificate store. Our puppetmasters are not our funcmasters
- A func shell for those quick hack moments

> I'll close things out here with an open offer to any Func player: if
> you're ever in NYC, give me a shout, as we should most certainly grab
> beers and talk remote system control.

If you're ever in Amsterdam, I'll return that offer :)

--
Dennis K.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans
  - John Lennon