Re: Func 0.27 + Puppet

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:04, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:12:17AM -0500, Greg Swift wrote:
>> >
>> > IMHO that´s a bug in the packaging... skvidal ?
>>
>> The init script has to have the appropriate settings in it, such as
>> the default start and stop levels that are present.  Otherwise they
>> wouldn't be compliant, and if you run a reset or on on the service it
>> wouldn't be put in the appropriate run levels.
>

> Hmm.. you have the correct setting for "# chkconfig: - 98 99", but
> the "INIT INFO" section takes precedence and has:
>
>        # Default-Start: 3 4 5
>        # Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
>
> Are you saying this are required to be present in INIT INFO to be lsb
> compliant ? I see many initscripts on my systems without these defined..
> F.ex. /etc/init.d/httpd on RHEL6:
>
>        # chkconfig: - 85 15
>        <snip>
>        ### BEGIN INIT INFO
>        # Provides: httpd
>        # Required-Start: $local_fs $remote_fs $network $named
>        # Required-Stop: $local_fs $remote_fs $network
>        # Should-Start: distcache
>        # Short-Description: start and stop Apache HTTP Server
>        #  implementing the current HTTP standards.
>        ### END INIT INFO

I am not saying it is required to be compliant, I'm saying that it is
syntactically correct. I may be wrong, but I hold to what I say.  In
the old chkconfig method you defined start and stop order, and orders
it should be on in when enabled.  Why would you not do the same in the
new?  Yes, it is not defined as a required option, and some might
consider it such.  However, we are defining the appropriate run levels
for the service to be running in when it is enabled.  Thus going back
to what I said before.  Maybe when we do the installation of
certmaster, we should then ensure that it is disabled.  If we take out
the Default-{Start,Stop} lines we can accomplish this, but then aren't
properly defining what run levels it should run in as well.  This is
the approach Apache (or red hat) seems to have taken in the example
you provide, but does not mean it is the only or that there is only
one right way.  At this point its just personal preference on which
way is better to implement it, as they provide very similar (all be
it, not the same) results.

I am interpreting from the Default-{Start,Stop} definitions in the
LSB: http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/initscrcomconv.html

(jf - sorry i didn't hit reply to all the first time)

-greg