Re: host checkout before run

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Karanbir Singh wrote:

On 15/02/10 19:57, Seth Vidal wrote:
considering adding code to func in general that before any command was
run it would run a test.ping() with a 5s(configurable) timeout.
thoughts?

make it optional - plenty of hosts out there have routes where various service provides will block icmp

it's not an icmp ping - it's a func test ping - which just does:
  def ping(self):
       return 1

it asks the client to 'return 1'

if it cannot connect or return 1 - no other command will matter.

You could run "nc" to test for a specific service? .. We doe this on our ssh-spray host because of one firewall(nat'd) will respond even though the host is not reachable and other groups block icmp.  Our answer to that is to use nc with a 5 second timeout to make sure ssh is open and then move on if the host is not reachable.  You could probably ping first followed by a nc command to see if the host is "really, really" reachable.

Just a thought.... I am mostly a lurker on the list hoping to find some extra cycles to give func a go at work someday.

-sv