Re: host checkout before run

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, xor exor wrote:

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Something we have had a number of problems with in func is when you want to run a command on
      all your boxes but some of them are down and your timeouts take FOREVER so you have to wait and
      wait and wait. I was considering adding code to func in general that before any command was run
      it would run a test.ping() with a 5s(configurable) timeout. Then take the list of hosts which
      did not respond and weed them out of your host spec for the main script.

      I've found that saves a lot of time, especially if you've added a high --timeout b/c the
      process you want to run is likely to take a long time.

      thoughts?

Yeah seems reasonable, but what can be the real solution ? That is a hacky one ;) If we add that, may make
it optional via conf file ?

I think this is part of a real solution. If you have a better suggestion I'm interested in hearing it.

-sv