Re: Poll for output in Minions

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 21:00 +0300, makkalot wrote:
> Poll for output in Minions:
> This implementation is a result of an idea that was post on ML a few weeks
> ago.
> The main idea was to be able to get some output during the minion side
> execution.

Yeah! I think is a great feature for long operations, having a minimun
output is better to have nothing for a while... :)

> The idea maybe useful for tasks which are kind of long and user wants to get
> some notification about what is going on on the other side. Because we are talking
> about long running operations that stuff is reasonable only for async stuff. Here is
> some example of tracking a long operation on overlord :

[...]

> Because we use xml-rpc as transport protocol these kind of things are not very
> efficient in func. But the best way
> to do that was (if someone has better ideas please tell) to log all async
> requests in different log files according
> to their minion job ids. When a new async request comes a log object is
> attached to called method and new log file
> is created named with minion job id.Therefore user can use that log object to
> log stuff and overlord stuff can track
> that log file via its (overlord job_id)--(minion job_id) matching db.That
> structure maybe very useful for methods that
> take really long time to finish its stuff. The cons of the method is we have
> lots of separate log files and we have kind
> of high one to many transport communication,polling 100 minions for log
> information will not be very effcient.However it
> will work for single or a few machines very good !
>
> Comments ,ideas ?

Sorry for the delay, this implementation seems very nice. I would like
to test it before give suggestion but for me it's ok your approach.

I'd also like to see the performance on huge number of machines and how
much we lost using it. What I'm thinking is how is it when you run
puppet on a lot of machines (I think puppet is not so fast so we can
breath! :))

Thank you again to implemented it :)

Cheers
Luca