Re: Someone stole my idea

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:37 AM,  <makkalot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2009 05:43:16 am Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Hi,
>> And actually implemented it better than I had in mind.
>>
>> My name is Arthur Pemberton, and I was just browsing through the
>> Google Summer of Code 2008. And it looks a lot like this idea that I
>> had in mind, except that i did actually start coding it, except for
>> starting a file tree [1].
> ?
>>
>> So I am curious as to if working on this to kind of merge in my
>> (incomplete) idea would be a welcomed GSoC project.
>>
>> So here is the idea I had:
>>
>> First of all, I named my idea LiCo (short for Linux Commander). The
>> idea was to make point and click admin types comfortable with managing
>> groups of machines (so forgive any proceeding Windows analogies). I
>> was going to create a UI, the only part I actually started, with PyQt
>> and use python over SSH to command n number of Linux machines to do
>> simple operations: 'update machine', 'sync time', 'copy remote file'
>
> Func uses XML-RPC over SSL which is kind of better than ssh because it already
> does all the serialization things between end points. There is already a UI
> (web-based) FuncWeb written in Python and uses Func API directly.

Definitely, doing it Func's way bypasses a lot of problems as far as I can see.

> However a
> UI written in PyQT maybe interesting also u can help improving the current
> one.

Agreed.

>Also u can add new modules to Func as u said above 'update
> machine', 'sync time', 'copy remote file' (i think we have them) if u want to
> make some contribution.

Agreed

> Current modules are mostly written for fedora,redhat
> machines having different modules for other platforms is also and interesting
> idea.

I can try, however, I am a Fedora/RehHat/CentOS user myself.

>> A typical use case would be:
>> 1) browse through machines and machine groups
>> 2) choose machines machine groups (list of machines would be flattened
>> internally)
>> 3) Create a batch of actions to run against those machines
>> 4) Hit the 'Run' button
>> 5) Operations begin executing in the background (probably with the
>> ability to attach a viewing window to any machine)
>
> The Funcweb already has them ;)
>

>> Features I had in mind:
>> * plugin architecture (each plugin would handle its actions, and draw
>> any required dailog boxes)
>> * capable of handling valid combinations of: password login, key
>> login, root login (sudo, su -)
>> * be able to organize machines into non-exclusive groups
>>

> The Funcweb already has them ;) except those :
>> * run well across Windows, Linux and MacOS
>> * could be "compiled" with py2exe for Windows.
>

>> One significant differences between my idea and Func's actual
>> implemntation (if I've read correctly) is that I was hoping to use ssh
>> only, so the controlled machine would need no additional software, but
>> I am not even yet sure how feasible that is so Func's approach seems
>> more realistic.
>
> There was an idea of having a pluggable structure for supporting different
> kind of conenctionns in Func (like QMF). That maybe a point u can play on if
> interested.

I can at least look into if its feasible, however the current approach
seems to fulfill all the needs.

>> Anyways, if the devs are interested and willing to mentor this as a
>> GSoC project let me know. If not I'll be looking through your code and
>> see how things are done as 'LiCo' was to be a long term learning
>> project for me -- so your code would be very educational.
>
> I'm not a core developer but last year i was in GSOC2008 and spent some great
> time with Func and its developers so, it maybe better to contribute to Func
> project instead of reinventing the things ...

I like to code, but I like to reuse code to get things done even more,
so I would like to contribute either way.

I will get a formal proposal written for the sake of GSoC. In the even
that is accepted, I'll spend the summer playing with the code.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )