Re: Func over Apache QMF?

Michael DeHaan wrote:
http://qpid.apache.org/qmf-python-console-tutorial.html

It does sync, async, routing (like our delegation), publish/subscribe type things, and offline delivery. I think the plan is to rely on kerberos for security though, but perhaps you could also use certmaster.

Func-over-QMF, anyone? (I know we talked about AMQP earlier, this is a level above).

I think Func's interest in the API, so the transport (and even certmaster) may not be critical. Perhaps it could do both.
I'm kind of undecided on this. I've thought about trying to transition func to use some sort of message broker protocol like AMPQ or stomp. It has a nice feature that it would help get rid of some of the more complicated aspects of func (async, delegation, etc) that we've bolted around xml-rpc. I wouldn't mind if that complexity became someone else's problem myself.

I'm concerned about how authentication and session encryption would work though. My previous attempts to use AMQP for this sort of thing ran into issues with integrating SSL like auth into it.

I'd rather not have to rely on kerberos. Just doesn't seem like it fits well in the circumstance people tend to use
func.

QMF seems to provide alot of nice abstractions over the rather raw AMQP protocol/api that would make an
implementation more pleasant.

Another concern I had was about the xml-rpc interface going away. Since exposing an xmlrpc api for systems management was one of the goals of func. With other clients being able to talk to and use that API.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is actually a common use case at this point. It seems like everything either uses the python overlord API or func-transmit. The SSL layer is probably part of the reason (it seems somewhat difficult to properly implement all the ssl bit we require to talk to funcd). So the xml-rpc api is not a huge win at this point.

Adrian