Symbolic-Func-Cobbler Integration

Hello everybody,

we are starting developing a complete integration from this three
technologies: Symbolic, Func and Cobbler, and we want to have any
comments from you, suggestions about our plan of implementation and/or
help for developing! ;)

Here is shown a "use case" to explain our "integration" idea.

Inside Symbolic (so inside you browser) you can create a new "Machine"
that you have just attached to your network. You need to configure
"hardware" on that machine (fence device for example), so you can choose
"hp fence device" and func (with a fence-module) know which is the
command to startup-shotdown machine with "hp fence device".

After this step you have a "cobbler configuration console", that is
something like actual cobbler console, where you can choose cobbler
configuration for you machine: distro, kickstart information, packages
to install ecc. ecc., flag to choose "func installation on machine" and,
in this case, you need to select a certmaster for that machine (who is
the controller for the newest machine).

Submitting all this data I'll start machine (using func-fence module)
and installation will begin (in future we may produce something that
shown on webpage the installation progress).

When all will be ready you will receive on web interface (in symbolic) a
message from certmasterX (the one where you have attached your new func
minion) whith message: "I receive a new certificate from this machine,
do you want to sign this one"... so you can run (from xmlrpc calls from
symbolic to certmaster) you certificate (cartmaster-ca --sign hostname)
and then you could see your machine in symbolic and you can control it.

Another step will be provisioning for "virtual machine" (using koan)
where you need to do something like previous steps but you will see on
your web-browser (via a java applet?) a vnc connection to your virtual
machine installation.

This is the start point for integration... but the final result shoud be
something like: I've many new servers, I configure one with
cobbler/symbolic and then I could create all my network using browser!

Comments?

Bye
Marco

--