Re: Tell us the neat things you are doing with Func

Jasper Capel wrote:
Michael DeHaan wrote:

> Share your stories and hopefully others can gain ideas from them too.

We're building a virtualization platform for managed hosting services, and we're building a central management application which heavily relies on func to do (for now):
- Dynamic provisioning of new VLANs (+ bridges) for customers
- Triggering deployment of virtual machines to those VLANs (installation s are of course handled by cobbler)
- Adding those VLANs to firewalls and creating zones for them

I'll probably be exploring the job functionality in the near future, so administrators can schedule / queue tasks.

The integration-with-cobbler ideas are interesting as well. Right now it's only one-way: include func deployment in cobbler. I don't know if it would be useful/doable at all, but wouldn't it be interesting to have a cobbler module on a func minion which would effectively export the cobbler api with func? Would this be as simple as importing cobbler in the minion module and just passing arguments / returns around, or am I underestimating this? :)

I generally see that as a bit of an impedence mismatch (to use Adrian's terminology). Namely, round-peg, squarish hole.

While Func is about managing "many" things that exist, there is likely to be less cobbler servers and they kind of manage things that don't exist /yet/.

Have you looked at "cobbler replicate" which can be used to share information between cobbler servers? Lots of folks are using this.

It does make sense to have a better koan module for the nodes, for reinstalls and such.... we do have some of this exposed already in the "virt" module, which uses koan to install VMs.

Kind regards,

Jasper Capel
Stone-IT