Re: EL 4/5 users: important change in behavior for EPEL repos

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> NOTE:  This was crossposted from the Cobbler list, and I need to update the
> Wiki docs for both to reflect this:
>
> ====
>

> Previously we've instructed users using RHEL and Centos 4/5 to get new RPM's
> from EPEL testing.    EPEL testing is a repository for packages that works
> like Fedora, but for EL distros.      We have said to use testing because
> EPEL stable does not update frequently enough, meaning we are unable to get
> bugfixes out when needed, etc.   Now I've noticied that when EPEL rolls from
> stable to testing (disclaimer:  EPEL's concept of stable is /wrong/ and it's
> no more stable than testing), it is dropping RPMs so they are no longer
> present in testing.   This means just configuring EPEL testing is not enough
> anymore.   In fact, it means you probably need to mirror additional repos if
> you are mirroring EPEL.
>
> (This seems normal for a testing repo, but the fact is that EPEL testing is
> really not "testing", it's an EPEL repo that doesn't wait a month between
> running updates.  EPEL stable can actually be longer than a month to update,
> if you post a package right before the monthly roll it has to wait until the
> next monthly roll.    Grr....)

I agree this is fucked up. However I need some ideas on how to better
deal with this in the future. Please send them to me or the EPEL list
so we can get this dealt with for other Enterprise but changing a lot
products.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux