Re: Client->Server communication

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Joel Heenan wrote:
Hi List,

Just wondering whether func provides a mechanism for the clients
instigate communications with the server? Even just a "ping I want your
attention" would be good for my purposes.

Sorry if this was covered in the docs I didn't see it. Look at building
a monitoring app and would be good if the clients could alert the server
as to changes.

Thanks

Presently no, as the central server is daemonless. In that regard, Func is more suited to replacing command-and-control
infrastructure than monitoring infrastructure (like collectd, etc).

There was some talk about having at least a "ping" type daemon functionality at the overlord server though. One use case is having the overlord server maintain a list of jobs for the minions to ask for when they are ready (queued up) that the server would then tell them to do when they came online. Though this starts to feel a bit like a message bus.

Creating an overlord daemon of course does make sense, as eventually we may want to enable XMLRPC into the overlord from higher level management applications as well as just the func-transmit system available now.

Hmm, further ideas on what you might like to see?

Is this something you might be interested in helping work on?

At the moment, the only minion->overlord communication is when the minions request a cert from the certmaster. There is an api for setting up triggers for when the minions request certs. Now that I look, the certmaster triggers aren't documented
yet, so we need to fix that.

   Whats the intended usage of the minion->overlord ping?

Adrian