Re: Pretty display from command-line ?

On 2008-06-25, Roberto Alsina <ralsina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 15:20:07 Adrian Likins wrote:
>  > Michael DeHaan wrote:
>  > > Greg Swift wrote:
>  > >> I
>  > >> decided to take a look at newt because it is used by several pieces of
>  > >> Fedora/RHEL already (such as system-config-network-tui).  After
>  > >> playing with it though I think the Newt Library needs some work as
>  > >> well (I could just be to picky, but it looks like trying to use a
>  > >> Widget with a Grid causes Segmentation Faults across multiple versions
>  > >> which was the first example in a howto i found).
>  > >
>  > > Yikes :)   I vote for using the one that doesn't segfault :)
>  >
>  > Newt is a pretty thin wrapper around slang/curses, so it tends to
>  > do things like segfault if you try to add 5 widgets to a container widget
>  > that can only hold 4.
>  >
>  > Makes doing newt apps loads of fun to debug.
>

> There are nicer python+curses modules than newt, which actually seem to work
>  ok.
>
>  I havedone a little work with urwid a while ago: http://excess.org/urwid/

well, i filed a bug against newt so hopefully future versions will
stop segfaulting (they accepted the fix).  It was an issue with
Widgets being intended to never be directly loaded.

anyways, I looked at urwid for a minute but its not packaged for
fedora yet.  At this point I agree with DeHaan about keeping things
included for now.  I've gotten a touch further with my experimentation
with newt.  Hopefully the next day or so will get me where I need to
be to begin piecing it together for func.

-greg