Re: Modules configuration files

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:01:26 -0400
Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This looks good to me. So the intent here is to be able to put a
> config file on each remote machine that describes how the module
> should behave, as opposed to having this config file on the overlord.
> Correct?
Exactly.

> The above looks fine to me, though we just need to be sure that if
> the config file is not present, that the module still works using the
> default values.
All modules that do not define their Config class works just like they
did before.

> Can you give some examples of where you think this might be useful?
> Fixing the implementation of filetracker to use this might be a good
> start (this is a tripwire-like system, that allows watching diffs of
> files via func-inventory).
We could configure all the paths that are currently hardcoded in
modules (like /usr/sbin/smartd or /sbin/iptables). It will be easier to
change this paths in configuration files than in modules source code.
This could also be used in some new modules i was going to write like
apache module or statistics modules. The code is extremely simple so
there is not to big cost of this change. Take a look at it:
http://github.com/kadamski/func/commit/c778b947e9ddb9ea3aa39a2d69c36e90ba9b089e