Re: command line api access ideas

Luca Foppiano wrote:
On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 16:24 -0400, Adrian Likins wrote:

I think it would be useful. At some point it might make sense to split overlord into an overlord daemon and an overlord client. Maybe even
 just a funcd running with a different module set. It would be a bit of
 overhead, but some nice abilities added as well.

uhm, actually I don't understand which advantages we can get to split
overlord in client/server....

If we did XMLRPC to the overlord, we'd need to make the overlord a daemon.

If we just allow standard-in and standard-out over martialed formats (such as XMLRPC marshalling, or perhaps yaml) we don't need that initially.

The stdin idea was just something that occurred to me as something possibly in the middle.

yes, but it is a good idea ;-)

I think the marshalling over stdin/stdout approach would be easier than XMLRPC over Local Socket (as opposed to network socket) for many languages that might have problems using sockets and low level operating system bits (i.e. Java). In this case, we could either add this to Func's client "func" (which might overcomplicate it), or make a seperate app also using the Func API called "func-transmit" or similar. I think I prefer this approach as then we could have it work simply without any added options.

cat /tmp/yaml_file | func-transmit  # outputs YAML

Of course we wouldn't call this via "cat", we'd call this in a program using shell modules analogous to Python's subprocess.

Matt, will this also work for you?

I picked YAML above just because we know it has very common language bindings for all the good scripting languages (and I believe there are Java bindings). Using XMLRPC outside of an XMLRPC server works in Python if you know how (and we do), though I'm not sure it works everywhere as cleanly.

Anyone want to sign up to do this?

Adrian, your idea?

--Michael