Re: command line api access ideas

----- "Michael DeHaan" <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adrian Likins wrote:
> >
> > Between Red Hat Summit, FUDCon, and various discussions, it's
> occurred
> > to me that lots of people
> > are using the 'func' command line  in applications instead of the
> > python api. This is particular common
> > in non python apps of course, where the api isn't useable.
> >
> > The problem with the current commandline client is that it is kind
> of
> > limited usefulness in this
> > useage. Parsing output seems to be an issue. Current versions
> support
> > the use of the "--xmlrpc",
> > "--json", and "--pickle" output modes, which could theoretically be
>
> > used to make this a little easier.
> > It wouldn't be hard to add other ways to marshall more complex data
>
> > either, yaml, for example.
> > Or perhaps a mode that would be easily parsed with commandline tools
>
> > (csv? BAR=foo shellvar style?)
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > The other side to the problem is the input. At the moment, the
> "call"
> > support only supports passing string
> > args on the command line. There are a couple of ways to make that
> more
> > flexible that come to mind. One
> > is to add some support for specifing types. Not sure what that would
>
> > look like at the moment.
> >
> > Another idea that I like, is the ability to read marshalled data in
>
> > from stdin. It would be pretty easy to
> > support xmlrpc style data this way, or json, or other types. It
> might
> > make it a little easier to glue support
> > for other languages in this way, and not be constrained by what can
> be
> > passed into the command line
>
> +1
> >
> > A wrapper api could use native support for xmlrpc/json/yaml/etc to
> > build up the data structures, and then
> > feed then via stdin to func.
>
> Luca/Symbolic guys, what do you think of the above?  I think it's
> easier than the XMLRPC over socket route and perhaps a bit easier to put
> together on for a language that doesn't have very good access to OS
> level bits (read:  java).    Func still requires permissions on the
> certs, so xmlrpc marshalling over STDIN seems fair to me, and other
> apps are known to do it.
>
> The other easy thing to do would be YAML, but we lose the ability to
> express faults if we go that route.

it seems a good feature because simplify in a good way the managing of
return data from functions, however I think call back-end through launch a command
is a bit dirty, but is definetely the quickest and simplest way, so +1 :)

I think to continue also my develop on a client/server implementation
(I hope to finish before the end of the world) so we have another way
to communicate to func.

it's ok or is useless?

bye
Luca