Re: Pretty display from command-line ?

On 2008-06-21, makkalot@xxxxxxxxx <makkalot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2008 06:02:20 am Michael DeHaan wrote:
>
>  > BTW -- FudCON and Summit are going well  and the Func talk was well
>  > attended and there were good questions.   FuncWeb should be getting some
>  > additional love soon too.   Awesome.  I also talked to one person (hope
>  > he joins the list) who expressed interest in building a TUI for func on
>  > top of makkalot's self-describing-modules patches originally intended
>  > for FuncWeb.   I think that would be rather slick.
>
> That will be great, that will be useful to see if need to add, remove some
>  options in that get_method_args. The widget creation part i wrote is specific
>  for TG but the validation can be used from other API's because it is based on
>  FormEncode :)

Well... that was clever of me.. I replied directly to makkalot (sorry)
instead of the list... let me try again, which is good because I have
some edits after playing around a bit.

As I was trying to say...

I guess on that note I should stop lurking in the shadow of this list
and say Hi.  I'm the one that was talking to Michael about the TUI.
Does anyone have an opinion on curses vs newt vs dialog?  In
 general all will require a bit of wrapping (curses the most).  My
past experience towards a TUI was with python dialog.. which I guess
could speed this up. I was considering trying to rely on as little as
possible that wasn't part of the base python library to minimize
layers and dependancie, but after looking at curses it seems like
there is a very legit reason that newt and dialog were created...  I
decided to take a look at newt because it is used by several pieces of
Fedora/RHEL already (such as system-config-network-tui).  After
playing with it though I think the Newt Library needs some work as
well (I could just be to picky, but it looks like trying to use a
Widget with a Grid causes Segmentation Faults across multiple versions
which was the first example in a howto i found).

 So quick run down... name is Greg Swift (as you can see from the
 header), I've been a Fedora user since day 1 (actually got going on
 RH5.2).  I've just recently (last year) started doing more development
 than sysadmin work (although still oriented towards sysadmin taks),
 primarily in python.  I have not implemented func anywhere yet, but
 have been paying attention since the project went public (would have
 been a wonderful tool at my last job, but to late for that).  I,
 unfortunately and fortunately, tend to stay a tad busy and so puter
 time at home is a bit rarer than it used to be, but hopefully my
 current gf moving back into town in August will positively increase my
 free time (not having to drive a few hundred miles every weekend and
 such).   Anyways as i said.. Hi... I'm off to continue playing with
 this interface...

-greg