Re: Symbolic a new func front-end

Luca Foppiano wrote:
Hi,

I'm proud to announce you that I'm working (with some of my colleagues
in Byte-Code) on a web front-end for func.

For the moment it's just a "proof-of-concept", and it's still under
construction, but is surely an interesting project. It's called
"Symbolic" (www.opensymbolic.org), and you can download and try the
"early version" with some features implemented (I suggest you to use our
git repository).

Symbolic is developed in grails and released under GPLv2 license.
I know already exists another project (FuncWeb) for the same goal, and
right now, fedora community have got two different web front-ends for
func: Symbolic and FuncWeb!  :-)

Here's why we are starting a new project instead to improve FuncWeb:

* We need a web application usable also by not skilled people, to
perform some func installations, and to be compliant with web
application requirements within certain huge enterprise environment (for
instance, banks), so we need to build it using a vm based language.

* We developed symbolic using grails, because it supports J2EE/JEE and
provides an agile and fast framework to build web application using a
standardized design.

* Right now we use func command line launcher to retrieve some
information, but there are some problems go along this way (first of all
we cannot yet launch func with async mode).

Our project web site is www.opensymbolic.org. Our application work fine
but is an early release and need development and bug fixing ;)
...and we also need some developers! So, if you want to get skilled into
a new way to build web applications, and if you want to contribute to
this project, please, join us! :-)

We wish to have your opinions and if you have suggestions don't hesitate
to tell us.

Looks very good. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet though, so haven't actually
used it, but looks like good work.

Adrian