Re: open agent (fwd)

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

A big potential opportunity for func.

--g

I had wondered what happened with the OMC lists -- after a period of inactivity I unsubscribed. Is there still a list? They tend to work better than forums as lots of us are on a ton of lists ...

Anyhow, glad to see the topic brought up again. Sounds neat.

To address some of the points --- Func is of course GPLv2+ and is a very simple (both in LOC and complexity) agent. The primary goals here being that it needed to be secure, easy to extend from external packages, and very easy to audit everything that goes on on both sides of the transactions. We like to shun big software wherever it can be avoided and aim for things to make admins and developers productive.

Another nice point about Func is that it can be used to distribute certificates for any application, even if that application is not going to use Func itself for XMLRPC. Another nice point is that it can be used from a variety of languages -- work on a Perl module to access Func over XMLRPC has already been done. For something like the OMC effort, an application may not want to use Func for transport, but it still needs a way to provision trusted certs to managed nodes -- Func's certmaster seems like a very good way to do this. So there should be lots of options.

If an app does want to use the API directly -- take a look at something like Func-inventory to see what is possible. Func-inventory uses any func module with an "inventory()" method to quickly build an inventory of all aspects of the managed systems, and provides change tracking and RSS feeds using git. It's just over 250 lines of code. So we think that is pretty neat. We're also building a very light webapp at the moment (Func-Web) that showcases some neat features of the API -- like being able to autodiscover what minions are on the network and what modules/methods they have available. Ultimately I'd like to see something like a network version of the system-config-* tools built out of this, allowing systems to be addressed not only over the network, but in aggregate, such that changes could be made to all systems matching certain naming patterns and so forth. Naturally this starts to drift towards multinode config management territory a bit too -- where it becomes interesting exploring how to address multinode relationships between different systems -- for instance, how do you install one application X here, and do tasks Y there, and manage failures in a sane way? This might be very interesting for doing disaster recovery type tasks, for instance.

If there are any specific questions, look over the project page and I'd be glad to elaborate in any further detail where required.

We've already had some nice work done by some folks working towards BSD and Debian ports, so we would definitely want to see that continue -- as well as a community getting built up more around submitting useful modules. Func modules just live in a directory, so an package can add additional modules into Func without them needing to be a part of Func -- though it would be great to see those accumulate in a common place so other applications could build on them.

Helpful? Still confusing?

It definitely sounds like a good opportunity and I like the idea of seeing more community applications built on Func, or at least using Func in some ways (for cert distribution, etc) and starting to use more of it over time. There is definitely a lot of places Func can go -- and no doubt places where we can improve it -- though if anyone is interested I'd invite them to join the list, submit some patches, and also stop by on IRC -- we're #func on irc.freenode.net

--Michael