Re: Hacking in ssh support

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Michael DeHaan wrote:

whereas *no one* has a decent system for managing ssl keys.

Actually, we do :)

Well, right. That's my point. You're the only ones who *are* doing good SSL key management (well, you and the puppet folks from whom you've shamelessly ripped it off, heh.)

I would argue the converse ... that no one really has a good system for SSH key deployment. That is pain, which is why Func is so nice.

I guess this is what I'm saying:

1. Handrolling a system to manage SSH keys is easy, and handrolling a system to manage SSL keys is hard. Therefore, tons of people use handrolled SSH key management solutions.

2. Right now, the value of func is:
  ( SIMPLICITY OF INITIAL CONFIGURATION ) plus ( a few func modules )

But over time, the value of func will be:
  ( simplicity of initial configuration ) plus ( A TON OF FUNC MODULES )

Which means that there may come a time -- and I don't know when, and maybe not for a while -- when people may want the value of the func modules, but using their own extant trust mechanisms -- which are most likely to be built around SSH.

But I've heard "cool, does it do SSH" a whole bunch of times now. Just something to think about. And yes, I know, patches welcome. :)

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager