Things to remember when designing secure overlord software

I just joined so I am catching up with the threads on security design
in software. I did not see this posted before, so I felt it was needed
for people to remind themselves daily when dealing with potential
minions and overlords and their future designs:

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

This Evil Overlord List is Copyright 1996-1997 by Peter Anspach. If
you enjoy it, feel free to pass it along or post it anywhere, provided
that (1) it is not altered in any way, and (2) this copyright notice
is attached.

Being an Evil Overlord seems to be a good career choice. It pays well,
there are all sorts of perks and you can set your own hours. However
every Evil Overlord I've read about in books or seen in movies
invariably gets overthrown and destroyed in the end. I've noticed that
no matter whether they are barbarian lords, deranged wizards, mad
scientists or alien invaders, they always seem to make the same basic
mistakes every single time. With that in mind, allow me to present...

The Top 100 Things I'd Do
If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord

   1. My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass
visors, not face-concealing ones.

   4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

  12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any
flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before
implementation.

  20. Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge
in maniacal laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss
unexpected developments that a more attentive individual could adjust
to accordingly.

  27. I will never build only one of anything important. All important
systems will have redundant control panels and power supplies. For the
same reason I will always carry at least two fully loaded weapons at
all times.

  35. I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look
diabolic. Now they just make you look like a disaffected member of
Generation X.

  37. If my trusted lieutenant tells me my Legions of Terror are
losing a battle, I will believe him. After all, he's my trusted
lieutenant.

  45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is
responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general
screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is
the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random
underling.

  46. If an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can
one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

  50. My main computers will have their own special operating system
that will be completely incompatible with standard IBM and Macintosh
powerbooks.

  52. I will hire a team of board-certified architects and surveyors
to examine my castle and inform me of any secret passages and
abandoned tunnels that I might not know about.

  59. I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am.

  60. My five-year-old child advisor will also be asked to decipher
any code I am thinking of using. If he breaks the code in under 30
seconds, it will not be used. Note: this also applies to passwords.

  61. If my advisors ask "Why are you risking everything on such a mad
scheme?", I will not proceed until I have a response that satisfies
them.

  62. I will design fortress hallways with no alcoves or protruding
structural supports which intruders could use for cover in a
firefight.

  70. When my guards split up to search for intruders, they will
always travel in groups of at least two. They will be trained so that
if one of them disappears mysteriously while on patrol, the other will
immediately initiate an alert and call for backup, instead of
quizzically peering around a corner.

  71. If I decide to test a lieutenant's loyalty and see if he/she
should be made a trusted lieutenant, I will have a crack squad of
marksmen standing by in case the answer is no.

  74. When I create a multimedia presentation of my plan designed so
that my five-year-old advisor can easily understand the details, I
will not label the disk "Project Overlord" and leave it lying on top
of my desk.

  99. Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.