Re: Func and kerberos

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:19 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 11:05 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:
[...]
> > But why prevent it working if you have that infrastructure? Many shops
> > want to centralize their identity - both machine and user - so working
> > with central identity seems like a huge win.
>
> actually, that's not true. Many MANAGERS want to centralize their
> identity. Most admins want to keep hosts and users as VERY different
> concepts.
>
> Managers want it b/c they think it means they can cut down head count
> b/c they'll have fewer pieces to manage.
>
> > > If a rogue master can spoof the master on the network then your network
> > > has very much other problems.
>
> > Not particularly - it is very easy to do this type of spoofing and
> > preventing it is just good protocol design.
>
> And in the whole scenario you have to get bits onto the minion that you
> trust somehow. Your options are: put them in a pkg and trust that the
> deployment server is not compromised or spoofed. Which is the same as
> the what you're describing above.
>
> so we've not won anything. We have to have an entry point of trust.
> We've chosen ours at the same place puppet chose theirs.

Let me try to push the conversation in a more positive direction. I'm
trying to say two things:

1) Your current security mechanisms and implementation present some
security risk. You may ultimately decide that the risk is warranted
given the benefits - a position I disagree with - but I at least think
you should adequately understand and evaluate the risk.

2) I think that adding some access control would make your software
_more_ useful not less. This is based on my own experience and users
that I talk with. Again, you may determine that adding these features is
not what you want to do.

So, of course feel free to not act on what I am suggesting, especially
as I don't currently have time to contribute. I only mean them as
suggestions and feedback about what would make func something that I
would be more inclined to use and develop on top of.

However, I would suggest that a response of "that is not a use case we
won't to solve" would go over a little better than trying to claim that
no one is interested in the use case I'm presenting (after all, at least
I am interested in it).

Thanks - Karl