Re: Func and kerberos

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 13:19 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:
> So func looks interesting and I wanted to ask a few questions about
> potential integration w/ LDAP and kerberos (and freeipa.org).
>
> * Any chance you would be interested in supporting kerberos in addition
> to certificates? The main advantage here is that you would be able to
> authenticate specific users or services on other systems more easily.

kerberos is pain and death to every project I've ever worked on. The
moment it is added the requirements explode and the application becomes
a 'special case'.

> * For later versions of freeipa we plan to do machine identity. With
> that you would have a list of machines stored in ldap, groupings of
> those machines, and already have certs / kerberos principals to identify
> those machines. It would also enable you to obtain additional certs /
> principals for the func service securely.

again - only by having a massive infrastructure setup. One of the design
goals of func was to NOT require any special infrastructure or
architecture.

> Speaking of which, it looks like you currently have clients
> automatically obtain certificates from the master server without
> authenticating the master server in any way. This seems like a security
> hole. Basically - if a rogue master server can spoof the master on the
> network (which would be easy) I can intercept registration requests,
> issue a cert, and fully control all of the other systems. It could even
> communicate with the real master and become a man-in-the-middle.

If a rogue master can spoof the master on the network then your network
has very much other problems.

More to the point: If I'm setting up a box and I go to the certmaster
and there's no csr there waiting for me to sign it, then I will look
into it further. Doing otherwise is just being a bad sysadmin.

> * Another security concern - is the funcd on the clients trusted to
> perform all of the actions? This will make it a huge target for attacks.
> Could you instead exec helper applications? This would also allow you to
> run the helper applications with lower privileges - either in an
> specific selinux context, have it drop some capabilities before exec of
> the script, or even as an unprivileged user.

it runs as root and it needs to run as root - in much the same way
puppet or cfengine or cron does. This is a tool for sysadmins to help
maintain large sets of systems. sysadmins need to be able to operate as
root w/o having to jump through hoops. They do anyway.

I don't have a problem with making things better, I do have a problem
with adding complications that, ultimately, most sysadmins will never
touch b/c they don't need them.

-sv