Re: Func and kerberos

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:10 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> Some comments inline:

[...]

> > * For later versions of freeipa we plan to do machine identity. With
> > that you would have a list of machines stored in ldap, groupings of
> > those machines, and already have certs / kerberos principals to identify
> > those machines. It would also enable you to obtain additional certs /
> > principals for the func service securely.
>
> Should be pretty trivial to just use a different cert.  In theory, a cert
> is a cert is a cert; if the server can say "hello, do you trust me?" and
> the client can say "yes, I'm listening," func doesn't care what that
> mechanism is.

You might want to do kerberos instead of certs, though. Kerberos will
get you per-user auth easily while the cert model is going to be hard to
scale to per-user.

> > Speaking of which, it looks like you currently have clients
> > automatically obtain certificates from the master server without
> > authenticating the master server in any way. This seems like a security
> > hole. Basically - if a rogue master server can spoof the master on the
> > network (which would be easy) I can intercept registration requests,
> > issue a cert, and fully control all of the other systems. It could even
> > communicate with the real master and become a man-in-the-middle.
>
> Yep.  The question *very quickly* becomes, "is func useful enough in the
> general case to even bother solving that problem?"  Which, I think, is the
> *first* question to figure out.  Until we know that func is a viable
> codebase and something that people will rally to and use, overdeveloping
> the security model isn't useful.
>
> Of course, the minute that people decide that func *is* useful, then the
> security model becomes *extremely* important, and there's nothing
> fundamental to the func design that precludes this work later, AIUI.
>
> > * Another security concern - is the funcd on the clients trusted to
> > perform all of the actions? This will make it a huge target for attacks.
> > Could you instead exec helper applications? This would also allow you to
> > run the helper applications with lower privileges - either in an
> > specific selinux context, have it drop some capabilities before exec of
> > the script, or even as an unprivileged user.
>
> Again: first let's validate that people find func (a) useful and (b)
> something they would want to extend with a community of modules.  *Then*
> worry about things like "helper scripts with dropped privs."  I think
> everyone's pretty well aware that, to start, func is nothing but a big ol'
> rootkit.  *For now*, that's perfectly okay.

Ok - as long as you guys know that you will have to think about security
at some point :) I do think moving to separate helper processes early
will help you add better security in the future though.

Karl