Re: Websites going forward

On 28. 02. 19 20:14, Rick Elrod wrote:
On the backend, I believe we could benefit from looking at modern
static website generators and shifting from our custom solution to
something newer and better supported. As stretch goals, we could also
look at the infrastructure side of things and change up how
deployments work. However, that might be out of scope for the first go
at this spec.

We have been very happy with Flask [1] based backends with Frozen-Flask [2]. A static side generator based on a dynamic web framewrok.

There is Elsa [3], our litter opinionated helper around those (probably not usable in Fedora, as it assumes GitHub pages, but linked it anyway for reference).

We use it in Fedora for fedoralovespython.org [4] and portingdb.xyz [5].

The Czech Python community uses it for python.cz, pyvec.org, naucse.python.cz, pyladies.cz and others. The Slovak Python community freezes Flask for pycon.sk AFAIK.

The good thing about such Frozen-Flask approach is that you can change a website (or part of it) to dynamic or back as needed. If you choose a static only framework, you are bound to static.

Flask is vivid yet stable, very popular Python web framework.

[1] http://flask.pocoo.org/
[2] https://pythonhosted.org/Frozen-Flask/
[3] https://github.com/pyvec/elsa
[4] https://github.com/fedora-python/fedoralovespython.org