Re: Fedora Wiki Revision

On 09/03/2015 09:41 AM, Robert Mayr wrote:
Hi Zacharias,
a few thoughts about this:

<mailto:mitzie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

    __
    After my workshop at Flock about the Fedora Wiki, we discussed many
    ways to improve and reorganize the wiki, and we sat down with Brian
    Exelbierd and Peter Travis to discuss it more thoroughly and discuss
    how the wiki should operate from now on and keep pages and content
    in general, organized.
    So let me sum up the things that we wrote on the pad, and feel free
    to visit it yourself here[1]:

      *
          Wiki consists many things, it's a big data dump, and the first
        thing we have to do is to agree what it's for. For example, wiki
        carries information about Fedora's subprojects, documentation,
        project mission statements, release notes, budgets, meeting
        minutes, acting like a scratchpad for ideas etc. So at first we
        need to reconsider what the wiki stands for. We suggest that we
        should be more selective of what pages exist in the wiki. For
        example, the docs team is already transfering content to the
        Docs website, so eventually no documentation will exist on the
        wiki. Release notes, and mission statements could be moved to
        the getfedora.org <http://getfedora.org> website. Eventually it
        would be ideal to have the wiki only for information about the
        subprojects (with links to join.fp.org <http://join.fp.org>),
        working groups, and some more. We still have to figure out what
        to do with all the pages that act like a "scratchpad", but
        that's another discussion.

getfedora.org <http://getfedora.org> is not a website thought to add
Release Notes or similar. It's a brochure website for our main editions.
People will get informations about them and can download it. I see the
docs team moved the Release Notes to the docs.fp.o websites too, why do
you want to change that again?
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/22/html/Release_Notes/

The goal of moving the Release Notes is to have just one copy of them. If these Release Notes no longer need to exist, lets delete them from the wiki. Essentially the idea here is to get duplicate information out of the wiki.

Same for join.fp.o, this page doesn't exist anymore on getfedora and we
actually redirect it to the wiki itself. I agree we need to make this
page nicer or do something more *new-contributor* friendly, but for now
this is what we have.

Is there a roadmap/plan for improving this situation? Would join.fp.o be better helped by moving it to a separate wiki until it is ready to be reformulated? If not, let's make it the main entrance to the wiki with the idea that all of the subprojects can be found from it.

      * Besides that, old content needs to be archived, categorized, or
        be deleted. So we came up with a system, that will work with
        some additional plugins that some people already said that they
        can write them, so we can have the wiki constantly updated with
        pages that are categorized, and carry updated content.

    In more detail:

      *
        We are thinking of developing a plugin, that will test for
        minimum desired page configuration in a non-blocking manner, and
        more specifically it will check if the page has a category and
        if the page is linked from another page within the wiki.
          o Pages that have not passed the above 2 tests, will get a
            "This page needs help" note at the top, with a note that if
            the page doesn't get a category or is orphaned (not linked
            from another page within the wiki), it will be archived eg
            after 3 months. If the page gets a category in the
            meanwhile, the note will be removed
          o Pages that contain this note for more than 1 year,
            eventually are removed
      *
        Apart from that, we can have cronjobs that make various checks
        and tasks, like:
          o Pages that have not been edited in eg 3 months and it does
            not have a category and a link to it, gets archived.
          o Pages that have not been edited in eg 1 year get a note that
            says "This page has not been edited in a year, it may be out
            of date."
          o Pages that have not been edited in eg 1.5 years get a note
            that says "This page has not been edited in 1.5 years and is
            a candidate for archiving"
            Pages that have not been edited in 2 years get archived
              + Archived pages are not searched by wikisearch or
                external engines by default
              + Archived pages remain available to be accessed via links
              + Archived pages have an "archived" header
              + Archived pages that have no category and no links to
                them are candidates for manual deletion by wiki-admins
            We can also have a category/tag that will prevent a page
            from being archived automatically
              + Pages to this category/tag can be added manually
              + Excepted pages are considered "owned" by their last editor.
              + Excepted pages that do not have an active FAS account
                owner are removed from the exception list and made
                subject to the archive policy (with a minimum of one
                year notice).
              + All users are notified of exception pages they own once
                per year.
              + Excepted pages are subject to review by wiki-admins.

    I know that people have already offered their help to develop the
    necessary plugins and cronjobs in order for something like this to
    run. Are there any concerns or any additional comments about this?
    If so I'd like to invite you all and have a discussion, and then
    move on in to doing this!
    [1]http://piratepad.net/1h1o9LNeAC
Thank you for this update.

If this is acceptable, let's plan to have the new tools we need for the wiki in place for the time the docs group finishes their new tooling. This way we can start really moving information where it belongs, even if join.fp.o isn't ready ...

regards,

bex