Re: about site styling in re usability

On 2012-12-05 18:02 (GMT-0500) Ryan composed:

What do you mean exactly by " the philosophy of the styling" ? If you

Is there a statement of purpose for the site, or any guidelines on achieving desired ends? Do accessibility, usability or friendliness matter? I haven't looked, as the absence of the latter strongly discourages my use of the site.

		chicken < > egg

are implying that the current design was specifically created and
implemented to be "rude",

I wasn't.

 this is not the case. Sure, the font sizes and
colours may need to be tweaked to improve legibility and readability,
but there is *not* a premeditated philosophy that was injected into the
current designs exist just to annoy or alienate a subset of users.

Maybe the results aren't the result of action or inaction specifically for such a purpose, but the results nevertheless are what they are.

In the updated version of the "Top 10 Mistakes in Web Design" by Jakub
Neilen [1], (not the nearly 8 year old 2005 version referenced earlier),
his main recommendation for font size is to allow the user to resize the
text. To the best of my knowledge, all fedora websites work well when
zooming text (Control + "+" in most web browsers).

It's not clear to me whether you think the elder

	http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9605.html

or the newer

	http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

or another I may be forgetting may be the more important. What I see from Nielsen's pages are only incidental consequences from projects he's been paid for. That age might suggest any particular subject revisit might be desirable doesn't invalidate the content purely due to its age. I suggest #1 on the latter URL is probably now more appropriate than ever after 7 more years of average display density increases.

It pretty much goes without saying that text should be _re_-sizable. In only one antique and very broken very old web browser falling deep into disuse is text not always re-sizable. Every modern browser provides one or more methods of re-sizing text, just as all provide some means of personalizing the initial (default) size of unstyled text, the latter of which constitutes resizing in advance. No CSS can prevent it.

The problem is re-sizing itself and what it actually means. I already "re"-sized my browser's default when I changed it from its shipped size to the size I prefer. Why should any web site overrule the decision I made, inducing me to react by _re_-sizing yet again? The reaction is a defensive action. Defensive actions are unnecessary in the absence of offensive actions. The offense here WRT text is CSS that imputes one of two things to the visitor, either:

1-You've made a bad decision in selecting your default size. We shall correct your mistake.

	or

2-We care none what your default size selection is. It shall instead be as we determine.

Items A, B, & C at the beginning of http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/rudeweb.html show methods that correspond to #1, while its D corresponds to #2. Rude becomes apt descriptor from offensive styling causing defensive reactions typically referred to as text "re"-sizing.

Personally, while I do not consider most of the web as "rude", there are
web services that I use that are not to my personal preferences. In
these cases, I use the tools available in modern web browsers (such as
"Stylish" for user-defined stylesheets) to change them to my liking.

Again, such are defensive actions induced by offensive conditions. Better that you wouldn't need to appropriate your time for Stylish or other tools in reaction to unlikable conditions.

Maybe -- with your contributions -- we could make our little bit of the
web a little less "rude" in your eyes.

Each of us has our own strengths, weaknesses and committable resource pools, and have to decide where they are best put to use. Getting into the trenches of CSS coding of a major site with no apparent policy on the subject is not a best use for mine for the foreseeable future. What I'm doing here is a byproduct of better allocations elsewhere. My hope is to induce a leadership role in friendlier and thus better web styling practices.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/