Re: Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The reason why you are all talking orthogonally to each other is that
the wiki is actually _more_than_one_thing_:

* It is for documentation.  A place where anyone can write up
 documentation for *any audience*: short how-to, tutorials, but also
 proceedings from meetings, etc.

* It is for contributors.  A place where contributors collaborate (and
 also write docs for each other): pages to plan events, process
 documents for sub-projects & SIGs, pages about various collaboration
 efforts, etc.

* It is for community marketing.  When someone wants to put up a newly
 facing page for open public consumption, 90% of the time it goes up
 on the wiki.  (Total guess on the percentage, we also use
 fedorapeople.org, but it seems like the wiki is the first scratch
 new webpage place for nearly everyone.)

* Umm ... more.

Thus you aren't going to get to the right answer with just one word
and one link.

Karsten,

I think you are right on track with what is going on here. There just isn't a way to define all the things the wiki represent in a single word. I do agree with Máirín that using the word wiki is not insightful, as it is just a technology.

Now, to stir things up....
I do like the word Contributors vs Wiki and i do think there isn't a way to describe Wiki in 1 word... however, i was poking around and seeing what 'word' would best describe what the wiki is and i found the word: participants. I thought the definition of it was sorta interesting based on what has been discussed.

> If it is not accessible from the front page, maybe they should be but
> there are a quite a few popular pages like the one on using preupgrade
> or upgrading via yum for instance that are often referred to by end
> users and those are the sort of content I spend most of my time editing
> and end users specifically look for the word "wiki" in the front page.
> "Contributors" seems so disconnected from.  i was maybe expecting it to
> take me to join.fp.o instead.

We have plenty of pages on the new site that include links to the wiki (about-fedora, join-fedora, get-help, get-fedora, footer links, etc). What we've done is pointed individuals to the best resource available and in plenty of cases that was the wiki or docs.fp.o (and some external ones too).

Sijis