Re: Change "Contributors" to "Wiki"?

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 04:37:22PM +0100, Kévin Raymond wrote:

> Hum, in that case, the wiki is not a draft for the documentation[1]?
> Which is of course *the* documentation up to date.
> Like Máirín said, do you guys have a link to these useful web pages?
> They are hidden in the wiki. I personally use it only for
> contributing, not looking for tips and tricks.
>
> [1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/

The reason why you are all talking orthogonally to each other is that
the wiki is actually _more_than_one_thing_:

* It is for documentation.  A place where anyone can write up
  documentation for *any audience*: short how-to, tutorials, but also
  proceedings from meetings, etc.

* It is for contributors.  A place where contributors collaborate (and
  also write docs for each other): pages to plan events, process
  documents for sub-projects & SIGs, pages about various collaboration
  efforts, etc.

* It is for community marketing.  When someone wants to put up a newly
  facing page for open public consumption, 90% of the time it goes up
  on the wiki.  (Total guess on the percentage, we also use
  fedorapeople.org, but it seems like the wiki is the first scratch
  new webpage place for nearly everyone.)

* Umm ... more.

Thus you aren't going to get to the right answer with just one word
and one link.

What if "Contributors" went to a specific page on the wiki, such as
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join , and a "Wiki" link went to the
wiki front page?

BTW, the wiki SIG clearly needs to address this situation.  We need to
either make it clear where you are in a 2+ faced wiki, or split the
wiki in to >1 and segregate the content.  (Or some other solution I
don't know about.)  Meanwhile ...

- Karsten