Re: Self-introduction email

> 2010/8/6 Miguel Sánchez de León Peque <msdeleonpeque@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > That's why I'm just offering my services as Spanish translator. Lets see if
> > I change my mind after a while... ;-)

This is an important job, and something that is very much needed.  If
we can do the hard work for a short time -- the work of growing
experienced teams in native languages who learn through translation
tools and translators -- we can plant the seeds in many countries to
grow stronger Fedora technical presence.

About 2.5 years ago Greg Dekoenigsberg hacked together a bot to
auto-translate an IRC channel through Google translation tools in real
time in to a secondary IRC channel.  He did this for Spanish and
Portuguese, iirc, and it worked well enough for him to get business
done with Ambassadors in South America.  There was some additional
work done by John McLean, but it's been pretty much static for the 2
years:

https://fedorahosted.org/lingobot/

What I'm imagining is a secondary channel e.g. #fedora-meeting-en
where a bot outputs the lines from #fedora-meeting-es after
translation.  English readers read there.  (Not sure yet in this
scheme where Spanish readers go for translations from English.)
Translators can be in the secondary channels and help to figure out
the hard stuff, the parts that didn't translate well - explain idioms,
longer terms, etc.

This way English-only reading mentors can assist new people in a
different language.  Even an entire channel can be translated and
logged during the day, and a Websites mentor can go through the log
once a day, ask the translator some questions, and send back some
advice in to the channel.  Much like we do right now in
single-language channels.

I'm bringing this idea here because I think the Websites team is the
best place to try this out.  People here are technical enough to work
with an experimental technology and gain from it.  The skills needed
to contribute to Websites are more common than for Infrastructure (for
example), and the skills represent the kind of job skills people are
trying to learn throughout the world - Python, Django, JavaScript,
JSON, user interactive design, etc.  (I could be wrong and perhaps
Infrastructure is another great place to try this out, I just happen
to notice the traffic here.)

Also, we seem to be getting more and more people from Asia and South
America who are interested in working on the Websites team.  I think
our success in building teams in North America, Europe, and the other
English speaking countries is because of the common language.  If we
can get a critical mass of native-speaking contributors in Chinese,
Spanish, Portugeuse, Russian, Greek, Swahili, Indic langs, you name
the language ... each critical mass pushes the door open wider for a
healthy contributor community to arise in countries that speak those
languages.

- Karsten

PS - I just noticed this, which may be useful in a back channel for
English to Indic scripts:

https://fedorahosted.org/iTranslit/

FUEL could be used somehow, for example, if a bot could search for
specific phrases and use the FUEL database to translate it, then send
the rest to Google translator:

https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/