Re: [Design-team] Recommend change F13launch image to JPEG to reduce download time and add text link to F13 Tour

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 23:08:05 -0500,
  Sijis Aviles <sijis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Al Thomas <astavale@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The current main image on http://stg.fedoraproject.org/ is a 200K PNG.
> >
> > This can easily be reduced in size 10 times to a 20K JPEG with negligible reduction in image quality, i.e. 'Explore Fedora's possibilities' is still readable. Just need to make sure the transparent corners are changed to white to match the background.
> >
> > Also the F13 release banner could do with the same treatment.
> >
> > I can see both images being visibly drawn line by line as I download the page and I'm on a fast broadband connection. To the casual browser on a slower connection the page could be unbearably slow.
> >

> Great catch! I'll pass that along to design so we become more aware of
> things like this.
> I haven't noticed it since I typically look at the site locally on my system.

You might first try doing lossless compression using optipng, pngcrush or
advpng. If lossless compression (and dropping of metadata) doesn't save
enough than look at using the convert command (part of ImageMagic) to
reduce the number of colors. I would expect that blurring and noise reduction
would allow better compression and would also reduce the image size.
Shrinking and rexpanding should also allow for better compression.