what happened to fedora

Hi,

I haven't update fedora for quite sometime and purchased a CD to completely install existing fedora core 2 to version 11.
I found it completely different that requires as intensive memory as MS systems. Installation used to be very easy and even earlier pentium CPU's haven't been problem. Especially memory used to be the best of linux in general.
Let me give you what happened.
The computer which I have installed fedora 11 was on PIII over 600ghz speed, 256MB RAM, 80GB Hard drive, 512MB video and this system is just experimental, not production ofcourse.
Very interestingly the fedora system took the entire night to complete the installation with sever attempt of changing options. I have used the default suggested package installed on the system.
The best of Linux supposed to be low over head, great x-server with very low video memory, work on any CPU, compact, flexible, and so on.
But I found non of these on fedora11. For my own curiocity I have read the doc's and the suggested min requirments are resource intensive which Microsoft 7 could work greatly with that resources.
What happened to the Linux community? Cought on the Windows competion? Feel very sad the change brought unexpected end to the great system.
I hope all the rest of linux flavors not fall on this problem. One thing I have noticed on the documentation was that suggested not to used the text mode on installation. Isn't it the beauty of Linux - the used of text mode on installation?
It seems to me that you follow the industries rather than guide them to this great operating systems. Companies wanna sell their video card, motherboard, and so on and you follow their lead.

Regards,
Tes