Re: Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Patrick Barnes wrote:
On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:56, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

But since I began to translate, I had to begin changing Wiki links
within the pages a lot, and as the translations grow, this becomes very
difficult to mantain without errors.

The use of translated page names is optional. If you wish to mirror the names from the English version, you may do so. If a translator wishes to put forth the effort to translate page names, they are welcome to do so. It isn't hard to rename a page, but updating the links can take some effort.

I think that translating topic names is A Good Thing, because the page title is going to be translated too. This is better for users to see the page's subject on the title, bookmark it, etc.

What is the utility of the "LanguageDict" page right now? I thought that
wiki could translate the links automactically, but I don't know how.
What's the solution for this? Using the "GetVal" command (as in the
FedoraMain page), changing all the links within the wiki translated
pages, or using the english name? (or something else?)

The wiki is only capable of automatically translating the names of built-in pages. Pages that are added with unique names cannot be automatically translated. This must be done manually or not at all.

The GetVal macro is only used for pulling in definitions, not translations.

So what's the utility of doing the proccess in LanguageDict?

For example:

 FedoraMain::pt_BR/FedoraPrincipal
 Overview::pt_BR/VisaoGeral

And another idea: Is it difficult for MoinMoin to translate the links automatically based on some WikiPage like LanguageDict and the lang var in each wiki-page?

So GetVal (or other macro based on this) will function as a selector: when a page's lang variable is pt_BR, and you use GetLangVal("Overview"), it will return pt_BR/Overview. If the lang variable is in fr_FR, it will return the French page (fr_FR/Overview), if the variable don't exist, it will return the default "Overview").

A good solution, or another difficult and bad idea? :)

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Users]     [Linux ARM]     [ARM Kernel]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Desktop]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Coolkey]     [Yum Users]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Asterisk PBX]