Re: Wiki ACL's

seth vidal wrote:

Hi

I have been thinking about this but it doesnt make much sense to me to have ACL's over all wiki content in Fedora. Wiki has a large edit group now that they might still make accidental changes which we need to monitor. I am not sure spam is enough of a problem to warrant this. what we can do is have a very limited acl for all the sensitive pages and a free run on the rest to encourage more active participation. There are a few people who monitor all changes to the wiki and I can do my share too.

-10

No. 'free run' is not safe and trust me, our wiki WILL be defaced by
spammers and bullshit.
Might be true but are you open to atleast giving this a try for a short duration of say 3 months considering that there are a few people who monitor changes and can revert back anything wrong?

This project is not open to all comers  - we require people apply and
get vetted for extras access, for doc-writing access, for everything.

This should be no different.
Wiki is different in the sense that it promotes quick edits now and then which is different from the relatively large effort in getting a package into Fedora Extras or writing formal Fedora docs which happens to be one of the reasons that the docs project now accepts content through the wiki.

If getting EditGroup access is so much of a barrier to entry that
someone will not contribute to documenting things then I doubt seriously
they are going to contribute much of use, anyway.
Let me give you a few specific examples of where I think this is useful. Users can add notes on whatever hardware works on their system to the HCL list or add comments on different specifications. Their contributions may not be large but over time this can be significant.

regards
Rahul

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Users]     [Linux ARM]     [ARM Kernel]     [Older Fedora Users]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Desktop]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Announce]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [Centos]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Coolkey]     [Yum Users]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]     [Asterisk PBX]