Re: Remastering ISO filenames (was: make a bootable dvd)

Jeffrey Walton:

On Thu, 2024-07-11 at 10:34 -0400, John Westerdale wrote:
> Thought that entries in a vfat file system are case sensitive?

I think the issue with Jeffrey's laptop was that its firmware wanted a
specific case (when it possibly shouldn't).  Or, perhaps Linux
shouldn't be using such filenames, and has simply gotten away with it
on hardware that didn't care?  Though I see some reference to a UEFI
spec that says the filename should be "BOOTx64.EFI" (yet another
permutation).

You can have case-preserving filesystems, and case-ignoring
filesystems.  And the OS that uses that filesystem can do likewise
(take what it gets, ignore what's there and do what it likes, treat
UPPER and lower as the same, or treat them differently).

On the old DOS, whatever filename you typed was treated as UPPER case.
Later OSs might have shown it that way when listing contents, or could
show it as lower case.  Then later OSs played games with dual filenames
for the same file.  It was a hideous mess to deal with.

Supposedly EFI uses a filesystem that's *based* on FAT but isn't
actually FAT - and without any defining specification of what it
actually is (therein lays fun and games).

FAT is (allegedly) case insensitive and stores all filenames as
UPPERCASE (which is odd, 7-bit ASCII has upper and lower case).  In any
case (pun intended), whatever reads a FAT filesystem may show the
filenames as they are, or mangle them.

More fun ensues if you create "FILENAME" and "filename" on a file
system that can store them as two different files, but then read them
with an OS that treats "FILENAME" and "filename" as being the same
thing.  How does it read the right file?  The two files may actually
have different contents.

Since the behaviour isn't particularly known (there's a myriad of
motherboard manufacturers), and there is no true advantage in being
able to have two separate and different BOOTx64.efi and bootx64.efi
files (any arguments for *needing* that are idiotic - if you need two
different boot files, then name them VERY differently), though there is
an argument for it being simpler coding to treat such filenames as
separate but that is not an argument for being able to create "FILE"
and "file" as a useful thing, it'd be sensible if UEFI didn't care for
the filename casing.  But that's out of our control, because the one
thing that would care, the motherboard's firmware, is made by other
people.

It'd be simpler if the UEFI spec said name it this way and the
motherboard's UEFI just looked for one filename.  But whatever a spec
may say about it, you'll probably find some manufacturer's firmware
does something else.

Short answer:  we're stuffed!

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.119.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 14:43:51 UTC 2024 x86_64