Re: Fedora 40 Mate ALMOST can't be installed

On 7/4/24 2:16 PM, Tim via users wrote:
You know, I'd like to try installing Fedora 40 (MATE spin), but found
it almost impossible.  The downloaded ISO couldn't be booted, whether
DD'd to a flashdrive, or burnt to a DVD.  The UEFI motherboard is
ASRock B250M Pro4 (circa 2018), not running in any kind of legacy mode.
And if that's too old, Fedora is being stupidly picky, but I'm more
inclined to point the finger at how the spins are created.

The downloaded file passed the checksum, and if I look into the
downloaded ISO, I can read the files.  So, again I'm pointing the
finger at how the ISOs are created in the first place, before I even do
anything with them.

The two methods I used to create install media:

dd if='/Fedora-MATE_Compiz-Live-x86_64-40-1.14.iso' of=/dev/sdb bs=8M status=progress
sync
eject /dev/sdb

And wait for the return of the cursor, and the flashdrive light to stop
blinking, because dd finishes and exits while the drive is still being
written to.

The writing is finished when dd exits, but the drive might keep flashing briefly after that. Or maybe the drive has some internal caching that it doesn't advertise (that would be very bad).

Brasero to burn a disc from that same ISO file.

If I put the dd'd flashdrive into a working system, it can't mount it,
so I don't expect to be able to boot it (I guessed correctly).

"Unable to mount Fedora Fedora-MATE-Live-40-14 Error mounting /dev/sdb3
at /run/media/tim/Fedora-MATE-Live-40-1-14: Wrong fs type, /dev/sdb3
has an invalid superblock or missing helper program.

If I put the burnt DVD into a working system, it also won't mount.

I don't have a physical machine I can test, but I did extensive testing with a VM and it worked in BIOS and UEFI modes as both DVD and USB drive. Partition 3 is not something to be mounted. The main partition is 1 and that auto-mounts for me.

Creating an iso that also boots as a drive is quite a hack and can possibly fail if the BIOS interprets it wrong. I will try to test it on a physical machine, but if there was actually a general issue, there would be a lot more complaining.