Fedora 40 Mate ALMOST can't be installed

I succeeded in the end, but this is a story about an annoying amount of
pain that shouldn't have been necessary...

You know, I'd like to try installing Fedora 40 (MATE spin), but found
it almost impossible.  The downloaded ISO couldn't be booted, whether
DD'd to a flashdrive, or burnt to a DVD.  The UEFI motherboard is
ASRock B250M Pro4 (circa 2018), not running in any kind of legacy mode.
And if that's too old, Fedora is being stupidly picky, but I'm more
inclined to point the finger at how the spins are created.

The downloaded file passed the checksum, and if I look into the
downloaded ISO, I can read the files.  So, again I'm pointing the
finger at how the ISOs are created in the first place, before I even do
anything with them.

The two methods I used to create install media:

dd if='/Fedora-MATE_Compiz-Live-x86_64-40-1.14.iso' of=/dev/sdb bs=8M status=progress
sync
eject /dev/sdb

And wait for the return of the cursor, and the flashdrive light to stop
blinking, because dd finishes and exits while the drive is still being
written to.

Brasero to burn a disc from that same ISO file.

If I put the dd'd flashdrive into a working system, it can't mount it,
so I don't expect to be able to boot it (I guessed correctly).

"Unable to mount Fedora Fedora-MATE-Live-40-14 Error mounting /dev/sdb3
at /run/media/tim/Fedora-MATE-Live-40-1-14: Wrong fs type, /dev/sdb3
has an invalid superblock or missing helper program.

If I put the burnt DVD into a working system, it also won't mount.

And the attempt to boot from it fails with a single message:

Initramfs unpacking failed: invalid magic at start of compressed archive

That leaves me with two alternatives, download a desktopless spin
(assuming they don't have the same booting shenanigans), and install
the MATE desktop into it afterwards (I've done this kind of thing in
the past), or try a prior release.

Trying what might have been the easy way first:  Download the Fedora 39
MATE spin, but it also fails in the same manner (checksum passes, dd'd
to a flashdrive, the flashdrive can't even be mounted on a running
system with the same kind of superblock error message).  I don't see
any point in trying something older than 39.

So, then I try the server DVD download as a more generic install
without being completely barebones.  The download passes the checksum.
The dd'd flashdrive booted.  I did a dnf update, a dnf groupinstall
"MATE Desktop", a reboot, and now I have to remember how to make a
graphical session the default behaviour (systemctl set-default
graphical.target was all that I needed to do).

Fortunately I have some experience with this, and a second PC to
research things as I go along, and succeeded.  But for anyone
else???!!!

I don't remember things being this painful except for when I tried to
use a very ancient PC as an experiment some 5 or more years ago.  So,
what has happened between F36 (the last Fedora release installed on
that particular PC), and now, to make installation such a major pain?

I've installed other distros, and finding a spare USB flashdrive to use
has been the worst part I had to deal with.  Well, that, and some of
their peculiar ways to manage installing extra packages and updates.

No doubt there'll be some pain in discovering whatever changes have
happened to Fedora in recent releases.  How to read log files, Wayland
versus X, graphics already seem sluggish (on-board Intel HD Graphics
630, no super-dooper gaming graphics card here), rarely being able to
print, etc...

Printing's another rant:  I have a central Linux server, I used to be
able to print through it from any other client PC, they'd find the
server, find the printers, applications could just print to them
without me doing any more configuration.  It worked brilliantly.  These
days, clients need individual printer configuration, and half the time
they don't print anything.  It just disappears into a black hole.  It's
an old-school networked HP office laserprinter, exactly the kind of
thing that should be the least difficult to print to.

NB:  I'm only interested in the MATE spin, and *ONLY* the MATE spin, so
I didn't try any other desktop spins, and I'm not going to.  I do not
like the other desktops.  I do not want to install some other desktop
then install MATE on top.  I'll go as far to say that I actively *HATE*
all the other desktops.  I could list the reasons, but nobody ever
accepts criticisms about what's wrong with them, so just take it as
read they're unacceptable to me.  And having more than one desktop on a
system has always been a nuisance with a clutter of unwanted stuff
installed, and extra downloads wasted when keeping things up to date.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.118.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 24 16:01:50 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.